Saturday, December 8, 2012

Winterizing and maintenance day. Some timing too.

Oh the weather outside is frightful.  Well really not that bad of a day and I really had some time to check out the whole timing thing and do the weatherizing I wanted to do.
I used my new timing mark on the bottom of the crank balancer and got the timing dialed in, as best as I can do.  The first thing I did was to adjust the choke so the big engine would idle down to what I figure would be a slow idle.  And once I had that set I had my soul mate give me a hand with the gas peddle.  So the mechanical advance seems to be working, and the vacuum advance kicks in where I think it should be too.  With the timing marks in a place that you could never see them I am sure they were never adjusted using those marks.
Something that gave me something to think about was on the carb next to the choke thermostat.

Holley application manual  Figure 5 shows what I am talking about.

Can you see the Choke Fresh air in take to the left of the choke thermostat.  Does that look like something should be connected to it?  Yea I thought so too but I guess not.

Once the idle, choke and timing advance was checked and adjusted I spent time winterizing.
When I was talking with my brother about blowing the water out of the water lines he told me about a fitting he was given that was not some cheap plastic thing but a metal fitting.  So here is what I built.
I don't really like the messy job someone did around the city water connection.  Just another job to do.
It is a garden hose fitting for a quick disconnect system that has been threaded for a 1/4" pipe thread.  Then I used an air tool fitting to connect to the air hose.
Now here is a deal for my loyal readers.  If you bring me the hose fitting I will thread it for FREE.  Yes this is a limited time deal and only if you act now, or at least until I break or loose my tap, then you too can have one of these.
And since the way I would winterize Wilbur was to pull up the garage door and drive it in, this was the first time I have done this.  I drained the fresh water tank, drained the water heater and blew out all the water lines to the sinks, shower and toilet.

I lubed the steps since they have not fully extended a couple of times.  It just might be needing some oil.  And I also spent some time looking at the under side of Smokey.  Boy if I had a nice warm day or two there are plenty of things to check over on a motor home this size.
I just went out and started Smokey.  The choke worked great but still stayed on longer than needed so I adjusted it some more.  Some of the vacuum hoses are hard, so I have been replacing them as I use up all the hose I buy.  But vacuum hose is cheap and easy to work with.  The story of my life, cheap and easy.