Thursday, December 27, 2012

Up on the roof top reindeer pause, or is the paws???

So today, after a day of celebrating Christmas, I decided to try some repair on Smokey's roof.  There are all kinds of roof repair stuff and I have used several on house roofs, but on Smokey I have only used some elastomeric roofing ( not the black tar stuff).  Smokey has a fiberglass roof which I really like, except no one has been doing the annual sealing around the skylight and roof vents.  So what happens is just like every other RV roof, they leak.  And once the water gets in to a laminated roof the wood rots and then delaminates.  That's what has happened on Smokey.
And I would love to have some warm dry weather, or even a large inside garage, to tear into the roof.  Well maybe this Summer.  But I might have fixed most of the leaks today.  There is a very thin fiberglass roof on top of a this piece of plywood, foam insulation and more plywood with an inside ceiling covering.  The ceiling looks great yet.  What I found today was a spot where the fiberglass cracked.  I think it cracked because the roof is soft there and nothing was nothing supporting the fiberglass.
Since we are having some drier weather, but not quite warm enough for drying the snow roofing, I used a heat gun to dry it.  We will see how it works.
Using snow roof primer and a heat gun in cold weather patching..