Sunday, December 2, 2012

I give up on the timing light

You would think that an old handyman guy like me would be able to find a way to use a timing light on this big old Ford engine to set the timing but I GIVE UP.  Yes I tried to see the marks by raising up the front end.  That is one nice thing about having power leveling jacks, and I turned the wheels all the way to the right but after looking at what I could remove to be able to see I give up.  I tried to use a mirror and decided that to adjust the timing by seeing how it drives and starts will be good enough.  Some day when I have driven it I will take out some spark plugs and look at them.  That way I should be able to see if it is running good or not.
And then when I finally find my special distributor wrench to loosen the hold down bolt, it doesn't fit.  Yes the bolt is a 1/2" and the wrench is 1/2" but the wrench is too thick to fit between the bolt and the dizzy shaft.  Well I know how to fix that and I grind some off.  Now it fits and I retard the timing some.  So far I haven't taken it for a drive but after running it there is no problem starting it up.
And that's my Sunday.  I did start out by having coffee with my flying friends at the club house and did Subway for lunch because Sophie had a lunch and movie with the girls.  Something about a fu fu place to eat and a sparkly vampire movie that is not my thing.  Give me a greasy cheap old motor home and I am happy.