Wednesday, December 5, 2012

More timing stuff

So today I really didn't do much on Smokey.  I did talk to the local Speed Shop guy about timing marks and he said just find TDC (top dead center) and put a mark on the crank balancer and some kind of pointer to line up with it.  Then you can put the other marks on the balancer to get the different degrees of advance.  So I lined up the original marks and tried my hand at painting a line but the paint went under the tape I used so I didn't take a picture.  Oh well maybe tomorrow I will spend some time on it.  What I really want to see is how the advance works or if it does work.  Then between how it starts hot and how it runs and even how the spark plugs look I should have an idea of how it is running.

And since the weather was clear we took the mustang out for a drive.  With the top down we got plenty of fresh air.  And a night time drive through the Christmas light display will be nice if we have a good night for it.

So keep checking back to see how things progress on the great Smokey fix up.