Sunday, October 14, 2012

The Superchief has landed

So today was the day I was looking forward to all week, I think I was.  Anyway My wife and I packed up the wagon and met Terry and Carolann at the truck shop in Clackamas where the SC was parked. Terry had removed the starting battery and took it home to charge it up.  He put the battery in while I took care of the high finance and paper work, pulled out the 5 big bills and paid in full for the big rig.
Rechecked the left front tire that was flat and aired up by the shop, checked fluids and started it up.  No fuel leaks but the cooling fan was rubbing on the radiator shroud.  Lowering the front jack down the noise stopped.  Backed it out of its parking spot and hooked up the wagon.

The lower grill was removed to get the battery out and left out in case of jump starting.

Out on I-205 we found out that there was really an oil leak as the smoke appeared out the back.  At first we didn't know if the smoke was coming from the tailpipe or underneath.  We did pull over once and looked under to see oil dripping off the bottom of the engine and everything else.  Yup it has a leak. Terry did have me check the fire extinguisher that was inside and it looked good, just in case we needed it.

After that we drove on to I-5 and to a rest area.  The oil was down a quart but Terry looked around the bottom as I started it only to find oil spurting from a bolt but the oil pan.  A quick check of the bolts showed that several oil pan and some other bolts were loose.  Once tightened up and restarted there were no big drips.  The drive home from there was not as smoky and now I have a place to start with the repairs.
It fits in the driveway.


Cruise control works.

Top switch powers the radio from main or aux batteries.


I'm not sure what  the red light means. Or what the switch to the left of the light switch is.


Vacuum gauge above the AC vent.



So after the trip home we all went out for lunch and wondered what I have got myself into.

And Sophie has been calling the Superchief  SMOKEY.  That might change, I hope soon.

I looked through a pile of manuals and receipts for Smoky until my head hurts.  That's enough for one day.

And thanks a lot Terry for all the help and repairs so far.  44 miles home today.