Thursday, October 11, 2012

My 1989 31' Superchief

OK this might come as a surprise to some of you, but I was looking around for something else in the way of a larger Winnebago.  And what I found was several of those newer, they all look the same, type of Bagos.  I even thought the only good bago was one with flat glass windshields.

But then I saw and ad on craigslist for a '88 Superchief in Coos Bay and it got me thinking about a basement model.
Here is the first one I looked at but they wanted $5,500.00.  It was a 28' rear queen. I would like this size.

And then I looked at a few others as you can see on my Blog, and then I found this '89 in Clackamas, OR about 50 miles from home.  My best friend Terry and his lovely bride of 49 years met me there to look it over.  Several stories were told about how it ended up at this truck repair shop and if it was taken apart or not, but after looking around it, and it even started up once we found the disconect switches,  I gave them my standard price offer of $300.00 but they were not ready to sell for less than $1,500.00 so I didn't think about it anymore.  It was a 31' which is really 33' long so it was longer than I wanted and it was being sold by a friend of the owner who didn't really know anything about RV's.
So a couple of weeks later and looking at a few RV's I recive an email asking if I was interested in it for $500.00.  Well Terry, who thought I should pay up to $1,000.00 for it said to buy it.  Even his Bride said buy it, so I said I would buy it.  And since I was heading out of town on another vacation Terry even offered, I hope he doesn't charge me to much, to patch up some spots on the roof before I get back and it is suppose to rain.
Terry even changed a piece of fuel line by the carb that was leaking and ran it for 1/2 and hour or so to see that it doesn't overheat or leak anything.
Here are some pictures of it incase you haven't looked back in my Blog to find it.

And then some roof repair pictures.
Before patching bathroom vent.


After patching.