Monday, October 29, 2012

The oil leak

Today the weather was nicer than the pouring rain we have been having, OH I'm not complaining after seeing what hurricane Sandy is doing on the East coast.  So I even put a little roof sealant on a couple of spots where I had a little drip.
But the big news on the oil leak is I think I have found a one piece gasket for the engine oil pan.  I took a few drives today and think the gasket is what is causing my leak and since I am doing this job I want the best gasket I can get.  Everyone has the 4 piece gasket set but there seems to be one I am looking for.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mr-Gasket-Oil-Pan-Gasket-1-Piece-Rubber-Steel-Core-Ford-221-255-260-289-302-EA-/370637409934

This one fits 1968 to 1997 models, and for the older ones with the larger bolts at the front at back you need to drill out the holes.  I guess there are metal groments in all the holes.


This guy used studs instead of bolts for his oil pan.  Makes lining them up easy.

Make the front 2 and rear 2 holes larger for the bigger bolts.





I did spend some time working on my right front leveler that had a bungie cord holding it up.  Seems like the welds broke so I put some grade 5 bolts in.  It took me awhile to drill the 1/2" holes but it's done.

You can see the new bolts.