Monday, March 4, 2013

Roof cleaning and moss removal

Oh boy it's that time of year for yard work, and my wife is already planning for bark dust to be delivered.  We have been taking advantage of the dry weather and have finished much of the flower beds around the yard.  And soon we will have a big pile of "work" to spread around.
  And I started to clean the gutters and roof.  My big concern is that my next door neighbor had her roof cleaned today.  And she had talked to me about getting her roof cleaned and not wanting it pressure washed.  Well sure enough I heard the pressure washer running this morning.  Now she knows that's not good to do and she was surprised when they started using it, but the kid doing it told her it was not a hi pressure cleaning.  Yea you tell me that as dirt and moss is blasted over onto to my house.  So I have been looking into this subject on line and found this info from the
 ARMA

The most effective method of cleaning algae and moss from a roof is with a
50:50 mix of laundry strength liquid chlorine bleach and water. Apply with a
sprayer and allow the solution to dwell on the roof surface for 15 to 20
minutes, and then rinse thoroughly with low pressure water. Extended dwell
times may be necessary, how ever, avoid letting the solution dry completely
as this may prevent complete rinsing. Take proper precautions to protect
landscaping and surrounding areas from the chlorine bleach solution. Use
appropriate personal protective equipment w hen working with chlorine
bleach. Algae will disappear and wash away with subsequent rains. Moss
will loosen over time and may be removed with a leaf blower. In severe
cases, it may take more than one bleach treatment to kill all of the moss.
Never use a pressure washer to clean an asphalt shingle roof as this w ill
cause granule loss and very likely premature failure of the roof system.

So there you have it.  Bleach and water.  It looks like I will be watching how my neighbors roof  lasts and I will be buying bleach...lots of bleach, probably at the dollar store.

If you want to visit the ARMA site here it is,  http://www.asphaltroofing.org/sites/default/files/press/MS%20Algae%20&%20Moss%20Article%20May1411.pdf