Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Here's the king pin parts.  I guess the top cap is just held on with two bolts.  And the grease should come in from the bottom fitting and work its way up.  Probably the biggest job will be to clean all the old grease off so I can see what I am doing.




OK I went out and fixed the seal but not like I thought I would.  Sure it seemed easy enough and all went great, except you can't get both bolts out unless you remove the brake part that holds the brake caliper.
But look at the pictures and see what I did.
Looking down from the top the grease flows out easy.

Before removing the bolts.



Looking up at the bottom of the cap you can see the missing piece of gasket.




The new piece of gasket going in.

Grease comes out where I want it to.
This job is done.  Kind of makes a person wonder who greased this before and what they thought was going on.  I guess if I used a pneumatic gun I couldn't feel how easy the grease came out.   Another good reason to use hand tools sometimes,  and that I am to cheap to buy a new grease gun.