Friday, January 13, 2012

That's the brakes

So today I pulled the wagon into the garage and removed the rear brakes.  I could tell that the rear brakes were dragging for awhile after braking, and here is what I found.  Plenty of rust.  I will put on new rotors when they come in tomorrow.  For the price of $17.99each for new, or $15.00 each to turn them, I am going with the new rotors.

The pads are $12.99 per axle,  and the calipers pistons seemed to slide good, so I am not replacing anything else.  Just lots of cleaning and greasing.  Probably flush out the brake system before putting the wheels back on.
Right rear brake.

Left rear brake.


I screwed the caliper bolts into the rotor to help remove it.
I used some PB Blaster to remove the rust inside the threaded holes.

The pads did not wear evenly.  This was the right rear (I think) and the caliper pins did not slide very good.
I spent time cleaning up the new pads where they slide on the holder to make sure they slide better.

Another view of the same pads.

I did have a chance to look around at the rear axles and exhaust while the car is up.  Nothing else looks like I need to work on it back here, right now.

Should have ordered the new rotors before doing this job, but thought I would look at them first.  The rotors will be in tomorrow.  It gave me time to clean up the brake parts before putting it back together.
This is the parking brake shoes.
This picture is for my brother who wonders if he can use Subaru brakes on a old Cushman scooter he has.  Looks like about 6 1/2" dia brakes and I will have some old rotors with the brake drum for you.