Monday, January 16, 2012

Another Hobby....The Wagon

Some of you that know me as a "Classic Winnebago" person might wonder about all this Subaru (also known as the Wagon) stuff.  Well they are connected since one plan for the Wagon is to tow it behind the Bago.

And then I do fly RC planes, OK I do have a couple of RC cars too, and the larger planes are rather big to fit inside a regular car.

My latest repair on the wagon has been the rear brakes.  Nothing strange here except that there is a HH "Hill Holder" system.  For those of you that don't know about the HH, it holds the car stopped on a hill when the clutch is pushed in.  So you are going up a hill, stop for whatever reason, and set there with the clutch in and your other foot on the brake.  You let off the brake to step on the gas and the car does not roll backwards down the hill.  Good idea right?

Well my car was working great after the new brakes but I noticed that if I backed up and hit the brakes it was had to get going again.  Felt like the brakes were still on, and they were.  So then I needed to learn about this HH thing some more.

There is a cable attached to the clutch fork,  and it goes to a thing with brake lines and a spring on it.  This is the HH.  One thing other than adjusting the cable but you can also adjust the level of this HH.  Two bolts hold it down, just loosen up the bolts and slide something under one end. I raised up the rear part, and it makes a difference in how steep a hill the brakes hold on.

Now if the weather would stop the rain/snow thing I would go out and adjust the cable.  Or I could just park one car outside and drive the wagon into the garage to work on it, or not.