Friday, January 20, 2012

I replaced the Bellows

The new rack bellows (boots) are on and I did it a different way than all the info I read about this job.  Rather than removing the outer tie rod ends I just unscrewed the outer tier rod from the inner tie rod.  No need for removing the outer tie rod ends from the steering knuckle.
Drivers side bellows is close to the exhaust pipe so that probably doesn't help it last longer.

I unscrewed the outer tie rod end and measured the distance to the locking nut.

This is before cleaning up.  Doesn't look to bad to me, so I just wiped off the area, put on more grease and installed the new bellows.  This is the end of the rack and pinion steering rack with the inner tie rod attached to the end of the rack.

This is not really a tough job, but getting the new bellows on and strapped them down did take some time.  The new bellows came with some metal clamps but after trying to get them tight I just used some plastic cable ties. 

And then today I got the two new front tires, to match the rear ones that were in good shape.  I hope my front end alignment works and the new tires hold up.