Saturday, January 7, 2012

More Subaru work

Well today I got to looking under the front end of the wagon.  I know the alignment is off since the front tires were worn kind of bad, compared to the rear tires.  When I took the wheel covers off to rotate the tires I noticed the front axle nuts were rather new looking and it looks like the front axles were replaced not to long ago, that's good to see.
 
But the steering rack, rack and pinion or whatever you call it, has boots or bellows that are torn open. I cleaned up the bottom of the engine and steering  to see if the rack was leaking.  Not any sign of a big leak or damage so I think I will just replace the boots, everything else looks OK.
And I just might give a try at aligning the front end myself.  When I measured the distance between the front wheels at the front and rear of the tires there is a difference.  Hey I never tried this before but I read about it.

Then I might look into the oil leaking around the bottom of the engine.  I used a Harbor Freight engine cleaner http://www.harborfreight.com/engine-cleaning-gun-68290.html that I read someone else suggest, and it worked pretty good with Simple Green.