Thursday, January 19, 2012

DIY Front end alignment

I tried it today.  Put my pipes with strings on them on the jack stands, measured from the axles to the strings, and from the wheels to the strings.  I even straightened out the steering wheel.  I don't think it's perfect, but since I will be taking the tie rods apart for the changing of the Rack and Pinion bellows replacement I think its good for a start.

Now maybe tomorrow for the bellows.  It will be a trial to see if I just unscrew the inner tie rods from the outer tie rods, slip the old bellows off, clean the old grease and dirt then fight the new bellows on and realign the front end again.

Then I need my 2 new tires on and watch the tire wear, or not wear, to see how I did.  The feel of how the car drove today after adjusting the tie rods was better than before adjusting.  I like it.