Thursday, May 16, 2013

Will the dash air work on Smokey???? I am giving the AC a try to see if it will work or not.  When I bought this RV the dash air was low on the list of things to check out.  Hey it was October and heat was more important than cool.  So fast forward to Spring and we have some warm weather.  So first I turn on the AC and the compressor is not running.  Next I remove the caps from the low and high fittings.  When I push them in there is no pressure.  So I buy the r134 fittings and since I have a couple cans of 134 around I try to put some in.  The pressure on the fill tube goes over 100psi and so nothing really happens.  I hook it up to the high pressure side and I think something goes in.  The compressor starts and the low side is still over 100 psi.  Now after spending some time with this project I have low pressure and freon is going in.  Tomorrow I will try some other things.

Now I am getting somewhere.  The biggest problem I was having was because there are valves in the fittings where the service ports are.  they are kind of hard to see since there is only the stem pointing down and they have a 1/4" square shaft.
Here is my setup of gauges borrowed from my brother and a cheap Harbor Freight vacuum pump.

I was able to pull over 20 HG of vacuum.

The low pressure on the left and the hi pressure below 0 PSI.

The service valve shafts are hidden at the bottom of the ports.


But on a happy note my dad is now riding his new bike.  I only hope that at 92 I want to do some riding.