Sunday, May 26, 2013

The exhaust leak

You would think that for what I paid for Smokey I wouldn't have anything to work on,  but no.  I have heard a ticking when taking off but thought it was a lifter or something else.  Then after going over the Cascade Mountain Range this past week I think it got a little louder.  So yesterday I thought I would check the exhaust manifold bolts.  And after all the broken bolts when I changed the exhaust manifolds on Wilbur I was very careful.  So far I only broke part of one bolt/stud.

And here is how the manifolds look on the passenger side.



The broken bolt just held one of the two holes for the tin cover.  It provides warm air for the engine intake.  Nothing to important but I want to keep it all there.
And the only hole that I needed to run a tap in to clean up the threads in was the one that I broke.  Now all I have to do is find a new bolt.  Since it has the stud part on top I might have to get it from the dealer.  Or I just use a stud with two nuts on it.