Monday, May 27, 2013

The exhaust manifold update

I changed all the bolts and studs on the right side exhaust manifold and took it for a drive.  Sounds like no more ticking when cold and accelerating.  After looking all around the auto parts stores for the two studs I bought new bolts and studs at the local Ace hardware store. It cost me $11.36 for all the parts.  I did reuse a couple of  flat washers.  All the bolts and washers are grade 8.   The area around the bolt holes was pretty large so I used larger hardened flat washers except for two places.  After doing the manifolds on Wilbur (the '73 Winnebago) I was very careful and took this job slowly.
So here are the pictures.

Here the two studs that hold the heat shield on are removed.
You can see the holes in the manifold are over size.

This is the only broken part.

New bolts and the studs with nuts are from the Ace hardware store.

This is the only small hole in the manifold.  It is the 4th from the rear on the right side.
I was told it was there to locate the manifold then install the rest of the bolts.

Copper anti seize was used on everything.

I don't know if you can see it or not but a couple of the flat washers are old ones.
The area for flat washers didn't have room for the larger washers.

I drove around and then rechecked the bolts.  A couple of them needed turning and then I put the heat shield back on.  Lets hope this is the last time I replace anything here.  I do that the paperwork from the heads being replaced around 36,000 miles.  It was done under a warranty at a real shop so I hope they did a good job.
This is the left side (drivers side)

This is the left side (drivers side)