Saturday, January 16, 2010

The Edelbrock 1406 Install

Saturday January 15th, 2010


So I bought the carb on Craigslist for $82.00 and the adapter to the intake manifold on Ebay for $23.00. Then I bought the fuel line connector from a shop. Seems that the carb has a special thread on this connector and nothing else will work.



I thought today I would put it on so I back Wilbur out of the garage and start removing the old carb. Then I found out that I do not need the vacuum connection on the rear of the carb so I go pick up a brass plug at Lowes for that (It's a 1/4" pipe thread).



Then when I set the new carb on I decide to use the adapter for the throttle cable. So another trip to Auto Zone. The electric choke needs power and I ran a wire from the fuse block to the pos terminal and a wire from the neg terminal to a bolt on the carb. OK I forgot to hook the pos wire to the choke after I spent all the time running the power from the fuse block to the carb I left the wire off the choke untill after I started it up.



Then when everything was hooked up I started it up again. The idle speed need a little adjust and I did adjust the idle air screws some but it ran good right off.



The last trip to the parts place was for an air cleaner rod. The one I had around here to use was not threaded very far and was too long. So for $2.00 I bought a new rod. Then came the drive test. You know how fun it is when you have to make sure the trans shifts down when you stomp on the gas and the secondaries open up too.